Thursday, August 18, 2011

Eggs, Glorious Eggs!

I told Mike, weeks ago, that the chickens were waiting for me to go back to work before they laid any eggs.  I was just sure that they wanted to give me something to smile about this week.   I was out back hanging Lillian's diapers on the line Monday afternoon, when all of a sudden, the chicks went nuts. They were making such a commotion I went over to check on them but I was afraid to open their barn door because they were really clucking in there! So when Mike came home I made him go check (yes - I'm still a little afraid of those birds!!!).  And he found our first egg - it was broken - just like we read would happen. Their first eggs are usually pretty weak. But, Tuesday evening, Mike went out to check again and returned with a real bonafide egg!  Then this morning, we heard them clucking again, and....we found another egg! 


Of course, I'm not really psychic at all.  It just so happens that the chicks are 24 weeks old now, the age they are supposed to start laying, and it just happens to coincide with my maternity leave ending.  But I prefer to think of it as a higher power, smiling down on me, telling me, "Go back to work, Baby Girl will be fine".  As if all of god's creations preform as they should.  And this higher power is correct. Lillian is adjusting to daycare just fine.  Miss Christine sends me home with a "progress report" letting me know the highlights of Lillian's day.  Of course, at 3 months old, her highlights include when she ate, slept and had her diaper changed.  But Christine tells me what I already know, that Lillian smiles all day, at everything and everyone.  I love hearing that!  I rush out of work to pick her up and love the big smiles I get when she hears my voice and sees me.  I also love that Mike's been getting home from work early this week in order to get a little baby time too.  The 3 of us are a sight to see, hugging and kissing and cooing together.  It's as if we were separated for weeks not hours!  Tonight, Lillian actually giggled.  Look at that, she had a "first" and I didn't miss it....




No comments:

Post a Comment